Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2016

#Rangers to Build New Stadium

I’ve been following the news about the new cathedral and can’st sayI'm that excited. Why in the world do the Rangers need to build a one billion dollar cathedral? That is just 200 million short of Jerry’s Deathstar otherwise known as AT&T Stadium, Jerry World or home of the Dallas Cowpatties. Whoops. Cowboys.
Are the Rangers trying to rival Jones? Or is it the City of Arlington that thinks the ball team needs new digs? Why does the team need a new stadium? The current one is only twenty-two years old and in perfect condition. If you’ve ever been to a game there, you know there is NOTHING wrong with the existing structure.
So what are the fans and residents of Arlington being told? A retractable dome will add to the fan experience. The new stadium will protect fans from inclement weather and make sure that all games are played as scheduled. I think it was the mayor of Arlington who made the statement. Since I’m sure I didn’t put it in quotes.
I might be mistaken, but the Rangers have been averaging over 2 million fans per year since there World Series run. Can’t be an attendance problem. Oh wait, we do have the occasional severe thunderstorm and tornado that can spoil an evening. For those who don’t remember, several years back or maybe it was ten, a tornado was heading right at the Ballpark in Arlington. It did create a bit of commotion. However, we knew all day that the storms were coming and yet Texans took to the Ballpark knowing what might happen. So what is it? Honestly, I don’t have a f… ,need to clean it up, a clue!
Can you imagine, any of these clubs playing in a dome: Tigers, Royals, Indians, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets and a host of others. Personally, I cannot. I’ve never been a fan of the dome. Baseball is meant to be played outdoors, in the elements and if a game gets cancelled, then we have a doubleheader. Oh wait, baseball and the player’s union don’t want to play double-headers. And I thought it was so supposed to be about the fans. My mistake.
There was a time when actually relished a rain-out so we, the fans, could spend the entire day at the ballpark and have not a worry in the world. But then, that was before the MLB Player’s Association became the strongest union in the United States and the baseball commissioners tailored to the fans. Yep, those days are gone.
Look, the bottom line for me is this, if I want to go to a game when the temperature is 100 degrees and sweat my rear off in centerfield, that’s my choice. If I want to endure the North wind barreling through the stadium in April, to the point I’m stuck to my seat, again, that’s my choice.
So, do the Rangers and residents of Arlington really need to build this monstrosity? My vote is no!

Will it be nice when it’s finished in 2021? Damn well better be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment.